Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lip Balm Made With Beet Powder





Shown above is the lip balm I made using beet powder. The beet powder is what gave it its color. A few months ago I found a recipe on how to make your own b
eet powder. You can
view it  HERE.  Thanks to her, I was able to use it to make my own naturally tinted lip balm! I was able to make my beet powder in only three easy steps! Actually four, because unlike the website  I got the beet powder recipe from I blanched them. By blanching your beets, it makes it a lot easier to cut! If you're like me, I didn't know what blanching was until I looked it up on the internet. Well, blanching is simply boiling your beets for twenty to forty minutes. If you have small beets, soak them for twenty minutes and soak the large beets for forty minutes. After I'd made my beet powder, I made my beeswax lip balm (a healthier solution to Vaseline)  . If you don't have beeswax you could use Shea butter or cocoa butter, as both would work well, too. I was hoping it would make my lips reddish, but sadly it didn't make my lips as red as I was expecting it to..it made it a bit tinted though But, other than that, I am happy with the results.


How to make the beeswax lip balm: 

Ingredients needed:

1/4 cup of olive oil (I used organic olive oil)

1/4 cup of coconut oil (I used organic coconut oil)

1/3 cup of beeswax

A saucepan and a glass jar

Plastic spoon

Disposable  bowl

Your choice of extracts or essential oil

Small containers for lip balm (I found small lip balm-like containers in the travel section in Walmart.

Fill the saucepan 1/4 full and place on the burner. Turn on high and let water come to  a boil. Once boiling, turn on medium heat and add you jar inside saucepan. Fill jar with beeswax, olive oil and coconut oil. Let melt. Once melted, remove jar from sauce pan. For a red, add 1/2 tsp. of the beet powder. Stir using the plastic spoon. You may need to make adjustments to the amount of beet powder you add. Let the lip balm turn solid. Once solid, stir once more and add your extract or essential oil. Spoon into lip balm containers.  Enjoy!












Beet powder can be even used as blush!














What are your thoughts on this article???


2 comments:

  1. Hi I made my own beet powder to use in a lip balm but it wouldn't disolve into the melted oils? Please help! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of oils did you use? I recommend using the oils listed above.

      Delete